Pecan Oven-Fried Fryer
This recipe combines two Southern classics—chicken and pecans. Although this chicken is baked in the oven, the rich nutty mixture gives it a fabulous fried flair.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk baking mix
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In a shallow bowl or large resealable plastic bag, combine baking mix, pecans, paprika, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Dip chicken pieces in milk, then coat generously with pecan mixture.
- Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until juices run clear.
Nutrition Facts14 ounce-weight: 1020 calories, 73g fat (26g saturated fat), 226mg cholesterol, 1849mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 57g protein.
Originally published as Pecan Oven-Fried Fryer in Country Chicken Cookbook
Apr 10, 2015
We both enjoyed this but thought to use less baking mix next time.
Apr 23, 2014
Delicious! I have been trying to switch to baked chicken instead of fried and this recipe was moist with a nice crust.