Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Roll into 1-in. balls and place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Roll warm cookies in additional confectioners' sugar; cool completely on wire racks. Roll cooled cookies again in confectioners' sugar.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 each: 73 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 2, 2019
Can't give a review but have a question. What can I substitute for wheat flour and butter please.
Dec 1, 2019
My Mother made these cookies for years at Christmas in OntRio, Canada. We called them snowballs. Still a fave today.
Nov 24, 2019
These were perfect and delicious! Nothing you add/change can make them any better. My go-to cookie and not only for the holidays!
Oct 22, 2019
These shortbread cookies are wonderful old recipe! They have been given different names over the years I have been making them,, but whatever they are called, they have been my family's most asked for Christmas cookie for many, many years! I have made one change in this original recipe, but I'm not giving away my secret to making this cookie unique and even more melt-in your-mouth delicious.
Apr 1, 2019
I love the buttery taste of these and how they pretty much melt in your mouth. I'll be making them again.
Jan 17, 2019
These are the best cookies! Made exactly as written. So delicious and buttery! I did finely chop the pecans and that worked really well. They were a perfect addition to my Christmas Cookie trays. People devoured them. Will definitely be making these again!
Sep 26, 2018
These are delicious, delicate little bites of heaven! LOVE the butter flavor!
Jan 5, 2018
These are My favorite cookies. We called them snowball grow in up. This is my first time making them. So far so good.
Dec 21, 2017
Used real butter and ground the nuts fine. They are very delicate. You almost have to put the entire cookie in your mouth to avoid them breaking up. For some reason, mine had a floury taste. will try a different recipe next time, but the flavor is Butter Pecan like.
Dec 16, 2017
Excellent cookie recipe. They do melt in your mouth. Does anyone know how long you have to chill the dough? Thanks