Pecan-Mandarin Tossed Salad
I enjoy making this fruity, crunchy salad for special events and holiday dinners. Because of its mouthwatering blend of flavors and textures, I’ve been asked to bring the salad for the past 25 years!—Linda Curtis, Ripon, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min.
Makes22 servings (1 cup each)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 bunches romaine, torn
- 3 cups seedless red grapes
- 2 cups mandarin oranges, drained
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large heavy skillet, melt butter. Add pecans and cook over medium heat until nuts are toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar. Cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine, grapes, oranges, celery and green onions.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients; shake well. Drizzle over salad. Add pecans; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 218 calories, 18g fat (2g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 124mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Orange-Pecan Salad in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.