These cookies have a nutty, slightly sweet taste. They go well served with coffee or tea at festive get-togethers.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups ground pecans, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg, yolk and vanilla; add to flour mixture. Shape dough into a ball. Chill for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Meanwhile, for filling, combine 1-1/4 cups pecans, 1/4 cup sugar, zest and milk; set aside. Divide dough into four portions; shape each into 12 balls. Flatten each ball into a 2-1/2-in. circle; top each with a scant teaspoon of filling. Fold dough over filling; seal edges. Curve ends to form crescents.
- 3. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Combine remaining pecans and sugar. Brush egg white over tops; sprinkle with pecan mixture. Bake at 350° for 17-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
2 each: 165 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 133mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC