Years ago, I was eager to enter a recipe contest I'd read about," relates June Russell of Green Cove Springs, Florida. "I went to my pantry and threw together these nutty cookies. Although they didn't win, they've been a hit with my family and friends ever since!"
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup ground pecans
- 54 to 60 pecan halves
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add egg and mix well. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture. Stir in cracker crumbs and ground pecans; mix well.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Place a pecan half in the center of each cookie; press down lightly.
- Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 134 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Pecan Grahams in Quick Cooking May/June 1999