Years ago, I was eager to enter a recipe contest I'd read about," relates June Russell of Green Cove Springs, Florida. "I went to my pantry and threw together these nutty cookies. Although they didn't win, they've been a hit with my family and friends ever since!"
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup ground pecans
- 54 to 60 pecan halves
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add egg and mix well. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture. Stir in cracker crumbs and ground pecans; mix well.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Place a pecan half in the center of each cookie; press down lightly.
- Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 134 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Pecan Grahams in Quick Cooking May/June 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.