Pecan Date Pudding
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups water
- Whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°; In a bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter; combine with milk. Stir into flour mixture until smooth. Fold in dates and walnuts. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, bring remaining 1 cup brown sugar and water to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter until melted. Pour over batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted near the center of cake comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Serve warm. If desired, top with whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 452 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (67g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 28, 2020
This looks like an old fashioned pudding cake recipe. I would love to try it, but I am a little freaked out about using 2 cups of sugar for a dessert baked in an 8-inch square pan. Does anyone have experienced this recipe? Did it seem excessively sweet?