- 2 pounds pitted dates, quartered
- 1 pound pecan halves (4 cups)
- 1 pound candied cherries, halved (2-1/4 cups)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Grease and line three 8x4-in. loaf pans with waxed paper; set aside. In a large bowl, combine dates, nuts and cherries. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir into fruit mixture until well coated. In a bowl, beat eggs and vanilla until foamy. Fold into fruit mixture and mix well. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 300° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Remove waxed paper. Cool completely before slicing. Wrap and store in a cool dry place. Yield: 3 loaves.
Reviews forPecan Date Fruitcake
"This is great! Mostly fruit and nuts. I will cut back a bit on the dates but am making this in March as I can't wait for Christmas."
"This recipe is fabulous! I bought a fruitcake from one of those "chain kiosks" at the mall, and it was so horrible, that I went looking for a recipe to make at home. I found this one, and plan to make it every year from now on. I changed the fruit ingredients a little bit to suit my own tastes, and the results were everything I hoped for. Love this recipe!"