Chicken and waffles is a Southern tradition. I turned it into a sandwich with a sweet and spicy mustard sauce to give it a kick. Our testers called it “naughty and delicious” and said they could eat it all day long! —Elizabeth Dumont, Boulder, Colorado
Featured In: Our Most Over-the-Top Recipes Ever
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup maple syrup, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 8 frozen waffles, toasted
- Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and 1/2 cup syrup. In another shallow bowl, combine the pecans, bread crumbs, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then coat with pecan mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil in batches for 5-6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Meanwhile, combine the mustard, vinegar and remaining syrup, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon sauce mixture over each of four waffles; top with chicken and drizzle with remaining sauce mixture. Top with remaining waffles. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Pecan-Crusted Chicken Waffle Sandwiches in Simple & Delicious June/July 2012, p28
Reviews forPecan-Crusted Chicken Waffle Sandwiches
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 17, 2012
"We make our own waffles for this recipe, it is very good."