Pecan-Crusted Chicken Waffle Sandwiches
Chicken and waffles is a Southern tradition. I turned it into a sandwich with a sweet and spicy mustard sauce to give it a kick. Our testers called it “naughty and delicious” and said they could eat it all day long! —Elizabeth Dumont, Boulder, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup maple syrup, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 8 frozen waffles, toasted
- Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and 1/2 cup syrup. In another shallow bowl, combine the pecans, bread crumbs, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then coat with pecan mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil in batches for 5-6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Meanwhile, combine the mustard, vinegar and remaining syrup, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon sauce mixture over each of four waffles; top with chicken and drizzle with remaining sauce mixture. Top with remaining waffles.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 796 calories, 38g fat (4g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 1095mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 4g fiber), 37g protein.
Originally published as PECAN ENCRUSTED FRIED CHICKEN & WAFFLE SANDWICH WITH SWEET & SPICY MUSTARD SAUCE in Simple & Delicious June/July 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.