Around our house, we especially enjoy these slightly sweet nutty cookies for a midday snack. But my family also likes them for a nice breakfast treat.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 7-1/2 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- In a large bowl, combine flours and baking powder; stir in oats. Cut butter into pieces; cut into flour mixture until well mixed. Add pecans and sugar; mix well. Stir in enough milk with a fork to form a stiff paste.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead lightly until smooth. Roll out on a floured surface to 1/4-in. to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with 1-1/2-in round cookie cutter.
- Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 60 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 36mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Pecan Cookies in Country Woman November/December 1997