"We call these 'magic bars' because they're fast and easy to make, and they disappear quickly when finished-just like magic!" declared Beverly Wilkerson of Crocker, Missouri.
Recommended: 25 Light Chocolate Dessert Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tubes (18 ounces each) refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough*
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut, divided
- 1 package brownie mix (8-inch square pan size)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Press cookie dough into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup coconut and press firmly into dough.
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions; spread batter over coconut. Sprinkle with remaining coconut; top with chocolate chips and pecans. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Chip Brownies in Quick Cooking November/December 2003, p10