Pecan Chicken A La King
"This is my favorite mainstay meal because it's fast, easy and very tasty," offers Roxanne Kamberaj of West Seneca, New York. "When I want to serve more than just my husband and me, I simply double or triple the recipe."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, divided
- Hot cooked rice
- In a saucepan, saute celery in butter until tender. Add bouillon, stirring until dissolved. Stir in the flour, salt and poultry seasoning until blended. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the chicken, pimientos, lemon juice and half of the pecans; cook until heated through. Serve over the rice. Sprinkle with remaining pecans.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 466 calories, 33g fat (13g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 832mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Pecan Chicken A La King in Country Woman May/June 2004