Pecan Caramel Bars
These butterscotchy bars bring back fond memories of my grandma who loved to spoil us with good food. Whenever I give these treats away or take them to a buffet, folks request the recipe.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups pecan halves
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- In a small bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle pecans over top.
- In a microwave, melt caramels with cream; stir until smooth. Pour over pecans and spread evenly. Combine chocolate and butterscotch chips; spread over caramel layer.
- Bake 5 minutes longer. Remove to wire rack. Run a knife through melted chips to swirl; cool completely. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 348 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 103mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Pecan Caramel Bars in Country Woman Christmas 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.