VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound dried great northern beans, washed and sorted
- 2-1/2 quarts cold water, divided
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak beans overnight in 2 qts. water.
- Add remaining water to softened beans and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; simmer 1 hour or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Peasant Bean Soup in Country Extra September 1991, p45
Reviews forPeasant Bean Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review