Peas in Cheddar Cream Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- In a small saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheeses until melted. Add peas; heat through.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 254 calories, 14g fat (10g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 567mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Jun 27, 2012
This was very simple to make. I added some regular onion when I did the green onion and cooked, crumbled bacon when I added the peas. There's a lot of cheese sauce, so adding cooked pasta is another great idea to make this dish go further (or to turn into an entree).
Apr 10, 2012
The peas were good with the cheese sauce and was easy to make.
Mar 18, 2011
I have been making cream peas for 60yrs ,havn't tryed with cheese yet but will .We eat creamed peas on toast for a lunch or light supper- Thessalon gal
Mar 18, 2011
I have been making cream peas for 60yrs ,havn't tryed with cheese yet but will .We eat creamed pes on tost for a lunch or light supper- Thessalon gal
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.