VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 medium pears, stems attached
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1/2 medium lemon
- 6 tablespoons fat-free caramel apple dip
- Dash ground cloves
- Core pears from bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel pears. Cut 1/4 in. from bottom to level if necessary. In a large saucepan, combine the next five ingredients. Squeeze juice from lemon; add juice and lemon to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Add pears; poach, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat; cool pears in liquid.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine caramel dip and ground cloves. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 20 seconds; stir. Cook 20 seconds longer or until heated through. To serve, drain pears and pat dry; drizzle with caramel sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pears with Spiced Caramel Sauce in Light & Tasty August/September 2001, p53