Pears and Cranberries Poached in Wine
An elegant dessert doesn't have to take tons of work. Tart and refreshing, this simple-to-make treat is a tasty dinner finale. —Eva Amuso, Cheshire, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 6 medium pears, halved and cored
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups white wine or white grape juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- Creme fraiche or whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place pears in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, cut side up. Top with cranberries.
- In a small saucepan, combine wine, sugar, cranberry juice, butter and lemon zest; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved; spoon over pears.
- Bake, covered, 30-35 minutes or until pears are tender, basting occasionally. Serve with creme fraiche.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 120 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 15mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Fresh Pears and Cranberries Poached in Wine in Country October/November 2010