Pearl Onion Broccoli Bake Recipe
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen broccoli cuts
- 4 cups frozen pearl onions (about 20 ounces)
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook broccoli in 1 in. of water until almost tender; drain. Cook pearl onions in 1 in. of water until almost tender; drain. Transfer both to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter; whisk in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cream cheese until blended. Add to vegetables; stir gently to coat. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- 3. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, until topping is golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each)
3/4 cup: 244 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 390mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Pearl Onion Broccoli Bake
"This was a nice side dish served with the stuffed pork tenderloin from the same issue."
"The best ever!!!"
"I made this for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it! I will definitely make it again."
"I'm not stuck on the onions, but I will try this recipe with broccoli and caulifour and see how that turns out"
"This is an excellent recipe. It tastes so good, made as it is. This recipe is a keeper and we'll be making it many more times."
"This is a good one to take to a party."
"Geez,If it doesn't sound good to you,click on another one. It's a holiday recipe,so enjoy it,we did."
"Deetsgooch, Where does it say it is healthy? I can't find that anywhere."
"I would never make this recipe for a "healthy" meal! What part of 4oz butter, 4oz cheddar cheese & 6oz cream cheese is healthy? It's bad enough that you have to click on another link to find the "healthy makeover" for the other recipes, this one didn't even have a link to a "makeover". Of course we can all substitute low fat cheeses & use skim milk & greatly reduce the butter, but please don't try & pass this off as healthy."