I prefer to bake from scratch, but this Christmasy cake mix recipe is a favorite. For a change of pace, use apples and walnuts in place of the pears and pecans. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
Featured In: 24 Upside-Down Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 medium pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) gingerbread cake mix
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix pecans, brown sugar, corn syrup and butter. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Arrange pear slices over pecan mixture, overlapping slightly.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, folding ginger into batter. Pour over pears. Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Gingerbread-Pear Upside-Down in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014