Pear Sundae French Toast
Coming upon this creation in a potluck line, I left with a full plate and the recipe. Now my family "oohs" and "aahs" as soon as I bring out this fruit-topped favorite. It's great for brunch or as a fanciful finish to a meal. -Carol Schumacher, Menoken, North Dakota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 3 medium ripe pears, peeled and sliced (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- Ice cream
- In a skillet, combine 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons butter and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; cook and stir until sugar dissolved. Add pears; cook until tender.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg, and remaining brown sugar and cinnamon. Dip bread in egg mixture to coat each side. Melt remaining butter in a skillet. Fry bread over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Top with ice cream and pear mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 444 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 141mg cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Oct 6, 2014
This one was gone in seconds. Family wants it again soon.
Dec 28, 2010
With or without icecream this is soooo good!I make this for dessert with the ice cream, and for breakfast I just use maple syrup. My kids love it!