Pear-Stuffed French Toast with Brie, Cranberries & Pecans
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 20 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 round (8 ounces) Brie cheese, rind removed and thinly sliced
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Maple syrup, optional
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add pears and 2 tablespoons brown sugar; cook and stir until pears are tender, 4-6 minutes. In a bowl, mix cream cheese, cranberries and pecans.
- Place half of the bread slices in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with cream cheese mixture, pear mixture and Brie. Top with remaining bread slices. Whisk together next 5 ingredients and remaining brown sugar. Pour over bread. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Remove from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until top is golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with syrup.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 393 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 476mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Apr 5, 2020
I followed the recipe. It of course took me way longer to prep (a little over an hour) than the given time. Pouring the milk and egg mixture over the sandwiches was slightly difficult. There were a few pieces of French bread that weren’t completely coated. The baked recipe was mushy on the bottom, and honestly wasn’t as flavorful as I had hoped. I think my suggestion would be to dip the slices of French bread instead of pouring the mixture over everything. My husband and I agreed this wouldn’t be a recipe we’ll use again- disappointing.