What makes this dessert especially great is that it can be made in advance and year-round. I use lime sherbet for St. Patrick’s Day and pineapple sherbet for Easter. For a yuletide touch, add a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds. —Pat Neaves, Lees Summit, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 large pear, peeled, halved and cored
- 1 tablespoon semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon white baking chips
- 2/3 cup raspberry sherbet
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- In a small saucepan, bring the juices, sugar and lemon zest to a boil. Reduce heat; carefully add pear halves. Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Remove pears with a slotted spoon; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Bring poaching liquid to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and baking chips in separate bowls; stir until smooth. Drizzle chocolate on a plate. Place pear halves on plate; top with sherbet. Drizzle with the poaching liquid and melted chips. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately.