Pear Oven Omelet
An abundant crop of pears was the inspiration for this recipe. What a great way to start the day! My husband and children request this omelet frequently.—Sandra Lackie, Creemore, Ontario
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 medium ripe pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In an ovenproof 10-in. skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the cinnamon, ginger and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Cook for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved. Add pears. Reduce heat; cook for 5 minutes or until pear are softened, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; arrange pears evenly in the skillet.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, egg yolks and vanilla until smooth. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites with remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the egg yolk mixture just until blended.
- Spread over the pears. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 250 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 228mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Pear Oven Omelet in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.