Pear ‘n’ Prosciutto Pork Loin
This pork is magnificent served on a bed of mesclun with fresh goat cheese and roasted veggies. If prosciutto is unavailable, use thin deli ham in the stuffing.
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) sweet white wine
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 3 whole cloves
- 4 medium Bosc pears, peeled and quartered
- 1 boneless whole pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 8 thin slices prosciutto (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- In a large saucepan, combine the wine, water, sugar, ginger, cinnamon sticks and cloves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add pears; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove pears and cool to room temperature. Continue to simmer poaching liquid, uncovered, for 15-25 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups. Remove and discard cinnamon sticks and cloves. Set liquid aside.
- Cut a lengthwise slit down center of roast to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open roast so it lies flat; cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 3/4-in. thickness. Remove plastic; sprinkle meat with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Top with prosciutto and pears. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; tie several times with kitchen string.
- Place in a shallow roasting pan lined with heavy-duty foil. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°. Cover and let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Add remaining salt and pepper to poaching liquid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in butter until melted. Serve with meat.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 402 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 404mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Pork Loin with Poached Pears and Parma Ham in Country Woman July/August 2006