Pear-Mascarpone French Toast
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 2 medium pears, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 carton (8 ounces) Mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 8 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Maple syrup, optional
- In a small saucepan, cook pears in 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or just until tender. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cheese. Stir in the sugar, ginger, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon and pears. Cut a pocket in the side of each slice of bread. Carefully fill each pocket with about 1/4 cup of pear mixture.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining cinnamon. Carefully dip both sides of bread in egg mixture (being careful to not squeeze out filling).
- In a large skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Cook stuffed bread on both sides until golden brown. Serve with syrup if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 321 calories, 23g fat (12g saturated fat), 159mg cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Nov 11, 2009
Mascarpone cheese is found in the specialty cheese section of most grocery stores. It is used for tiramisu. It is in a tub like a cheese spread. Very good.
Sep 22, 2009
I never heard of mascarpone cheese, where do I find it?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.