Pear & Maple Cream Pavlova
Delicate and creamy, this pear-topped pavlova makes an elegant dessert for company. I prepare the filling using the maple syrup I buy from a local farm.—Diane Nemitz, Ludington, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup ground pecans
- 1-1/3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 canned pear halves in juice, well-drained
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Trace a 9-in. circle on the parchment paper; invert paper.
- Preheat oven to 275°. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in pecans.
- Spread meringue over circle, shaping a shallow well in center using the back of a spoon. Bake 45-50 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringue in oven 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat cream until bubbles form around sides of pan. In a small bowl, whisk 1/2 cup maple syrup, egg, egg yolk, brown sugar and cornstarch until blended but not foamy. Slowly whisk in hot cream. Return all to pan; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and a thermometer reads 170°. Immediately transfer to a clean bowl. Cool 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Press plastic wrap onto surface of filling; refrigerate until cold.
- Remove meringue from oven; cool completely on baking sheet. Preheat broiler. Thinly slice wide end of each pear, leaving stem end attached. Blot dry. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet; spread slices to fan. Brush pears with remaining maple syrup. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely.
- To serve, remove meringue from paper; place on a serving plate. Fill with maple cream. Arrange cooled pears over top. Refrigerate leftovers.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.