Pear Dessert Squares
"Pears are so luscious sparked with spices and topped with graham cracker crumbs in this yummy dessert," says Jacquie Guarriello of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. "I try to have low-sugar desserts available at family gatherings because three of my relatives are diabetic. This treat is always a hit."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds pears, sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup thawed unsweetened apple juice concentrate
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat cinnamon graham cracker crumbs (about 4 whole crackers)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- Additional ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, toss the pears, 1 tablespoon flour and apple juice concentrate. Spoon into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a bowl, combine the crumbs, cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining flour. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over pears.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until pears are lightly browned. Serve warm or chilled. Cut into squares; top with whipped topping and cinnamon.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 127 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 74mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Pear Dessert Squares in Taste of Home October/November 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.