Pear Crumb Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled pears
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Sprinkle with water; toss until mixture is moist enough to shape into a ball. On a floured surface, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie pan. Flute edges. Combine filling ingredients; spoon into the crust. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes. For topping, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. bake 40 minutes longer. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 459 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 271mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 11, 2015
Really good! I added 1/3 c oatmeal to the topping.
Sep 17, 2012
My family is comprised of pie lovers.They can't wait till fall when apples and pears are abundant. I always made apple pear pie until I stumbled across this recipe, My boys and nephews fell in love with it! Many people are amazed when I say I make pear pie. They have never heard of pears being used to make a pie. Once they taste it, it is a sure thing they will ask for the recipe! I have to make this pie at least a few times a month because the family is so enamored with it!You may need to adjust the amount of cornstarch if you have really ripe pears .
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.