Pear Crumb Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled pears
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Sprinkle with water; toss until mixture is moist enough to shape into a ball. On a floured surface, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie pan. Flute edges. Combine filling ingredients; spoon into the crust. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes. For topping, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. bake 40 minutes longer. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 459 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 271mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 11, 2015
Really good! I added 1/3 c oatmeal to the topping.
Sep 17, 2012
My family is comprised of pie lovers.They can't wait till fall when apples and pears are abundant. I always made apple pear pie until I stumbled across this recipe, My boys and nephews fell in love with it! Many people are amazed when I say I make pear pie. They have never heard of pears being used to make a pie. Once they taste it, it is a sure thing they will ask for the recipe! I have to make this pie at least a few times a month because the family is so enamored with it!You may need to adjust the amount of cornstarch if you have really ripe pears .