Pear Crisp with Lemon Sauce
"Everyone loves the crunchy oat topping and sweet pear filling in this fruity crisp," writes Rachel Franklin from Hockley, Texas.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel, divided
- 5 cups sliced peeled ripe pears (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons flour, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of lemon peel. Add pears; gently toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, cardamom and remaining flour and lemon peel, Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. stir in almonds. Sprinkle over pears. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until pears are tender and topping is golden brown.
- For lemon sauce, combine sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in butter, lemon juice and peel. Serve with warm pear crisp.