"Everyone loves the crunchy oat topping and sweet pear filling in this fruity crisp," writes Rachel Franklin from Hockley, Texas.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel, divided
- 5 cups sliced peeled ripe pears (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoons cold butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons flour, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of lemon peel. Add pears; gently toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Combine the oats, brown sugar, cardamom and remaining flour and lemon peel; mix well. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. stir in almonds. Sprinkle over pears. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until pears are tender and topping is golden brown.
- For lemon sauce, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in butter, lemon juice and peel. serve with warm pear crisp. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Pear Crisp with Lemon Sauce in Taste of Home August/September 2002, p65