Pear Coffee Cake
I first tasted a moist, delicious pear coffee cake at a bake sale. At Christmas, I bake it instead of fruitcake, adding chopped nuts and chopped red and green candied cherries—about 1/4 cup of each.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 3 cups chopped peeled pears
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- In a bowl, cream together sugar and oil. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift together flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture. Add vanilla. Bay hand, stir in coconut, dates, pears and pecans (batter will be thick). Spoon into a greased and floured fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until cake tests done. Cool on rack until cake comes away from sides of pan; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 536 calories, 31g fat (7g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Pear Coffee Cake in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.