- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 9 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 4 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 3 cups finely chopped peeled ripe pears
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, lemon juice and water; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half, making one portion slightly larger. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out larger portion of dough between two large sheets of waxed paper into a 17-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Press pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of pan; trim pastry even with top edges.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add apples and pears; toss to coat. Spoon over crust.
- Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim and seal edges. Brush lattice top with egg white.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forPear-Apple Pie Bars
"I loved this recipe because I have an abundant amount of apples and pears from my trees this fall. From start to finish though it was about two hours. Came out looking and tasting like a bakery good. I'm lucky I have an excellent apple peeler corer from pampered chef which made that part easy and fast. Used my food processor to chop up the fruit finely. Excellent meld of flavors. Crust absolutely delicious!"