Pear and Poppy Seed Loaf
Hands down, this slightly sweet loaf is my husband and children's favorite. Instead of butter, I top slices with plain yogurt. —Sherry Flaquel, Cutler Bay, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled ripe pears
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, honey, butter and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pears.
- Transfer to a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 201 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Pear and Poppyseed Love Loaf in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012