Pear and Blue Cheese Salad
Tina Green of Albany, Oregon dishes up this refreshing salad as a main course on hot days or to serve with grilled meat. "It only takes a few minutes to prepare while the grill is warming," she notes. "I first tried it at a restaurant and adopted it to our taste."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups torn Bibb or Boston lettuce
- 1/2 cup cubed cheddar cheese
- 1 medium pear, thinly sliced
- 1 slice sweet onion, separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons poppy seed salad dressing
- In a small heavy skillet, melt sugar over low heat. Add walnuts and stir to coat. Remove from the heat.
- Divide lettuce between two serving plates; top with the cheddar cheese, pear and onion. Sprinkle with blue cheese and sugared walnuts. Drizzle with dressing.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 312 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 682mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Blue Pear Salad in Cooking for 2 Summer 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.