Peanut ‘n’ Chocolate Graham Bars
Total TimePrep: 55 min. + chilling
- 17 whole graham crackers, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups peanut butter chips
- 4 tablespoons shortening, divided
- 2-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with heavy-duty foil. Arrange eight whole graham crackers and one half graham cracker in pan; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, milk and egg. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cracker crumbs, coconut, peanuts and vanilla. Cool for 10 minutes or until thickened. Spread over graham crackers in pan. Top with remaining graham crackers; press down lightly. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Using foil, remove from pan. Discard foil. Cut into 2-1/2-in. x 1-in. bars, following score marks on graham crackers.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt peanut butter chips and 2 tablespoons shortening; stir until smooth. Dip top of bars in peanut butter mixture; let excess drip off. Invert onto a waxed paper-lined pan. Chill for 15 minutes or until set.
- Melt chocolate chips and remaining shortening; stir until smooth. Dip uncoated half of bars in chocolate mixture; let excess drip off. Invert onto a waxed paper-lined pan. Chill for 30 minutes or until set. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 228 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 131mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 20, 2011
These bars are so great. They disappeared fast! Reminds me of a variation of Low Country Cookies. I used peanut butter instead of peanuts and peanut butter chips. I added 1/4 of a cup after I removed the sauce pan from the heat. Plenty of peanut butter flavor. I also decided to melt milk chocolate chips with a dab of shortening in the microwave and spread them over the top (final) layer of graham crackers. After chilling I cut them into bars with a very sharp knife. This was easier for me than the written final step of dipping the bars into two different kinds of melted morsels and drying on wax paper and all. I have them pictured on my page since there is no picture here. Love these! Thanks TOH!