Peanut Ice Cream Squares
"With its thick peanut and fudge topping, this ice cream cake is always a hit with our family," writes Kathy Pahl of Medicine Hat, Alberta. "It can be prepared well in advance and appeals to both children and adults."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (about 48 wafers)
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups salted dry roasted peanuts, crushed
- In a large saucepan, bring the sugar, milk, chocolate chips and 1/2 cup butter to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool completely.
- Melt the remaining butter; toss with wafer crumbs. Press onto the bottom of a 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Cut ice cream into 1-1/2-in. slices; arrange over crust. Sprinkle with nuts. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Spread cooled sauce over nuts. Cover and freeze for 1 hour or until firm. May be frozen for up to 2 months. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before serving.
Editor's Note: Purchase a rectangular-shaped carton of ice cream for easiest cutting.