"With its thick peanut and fudge topping, this ice cream cake is always a hit with our family," writes Kathy Pahl of Medicine Hat, Alberta. "It can be prepared well in advance and appeals to both children and adults."
Recommended: 20 Super Cool Icebox Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (about 48 wafers)
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups salted dry roasted peanuts, crushed
- In a large saucepan, bring the sugar, milk, chocolate chips and 1/2 cup butter to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool completely.
- Melt the remaining butter; toss with wafer crumbs. Press onto the bottom of a 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Cut ice cream into 1-1/2-in. slices; arrange over crust. Sprinkle with nuts. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Spread cooled sauce over nuts. Cover and freeze for 1 hour or until firm. May be frozen for up to 2 months. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Peanut Ice Cream Squares in Quick Cooking July/August 2002, p44
Reviews forPeanut Ice Cream Squares
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 2, 2014
"Great recipe - have also added peanut butter to the topping sauce - gave even more peanut flavour. A definite keeper!"