- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and coffee. Beat just until combined.
- Filled paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 325° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small mixing bowl, cream peanut butter and butter; gradually add confectioners' sugar. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a small tip. Add filling. Push the tip through the bottom of paper liner to fill each cupcake.
- For ganache, in a heavy saucepan, melt chocolate with cream over low heat; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat. Cool for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Place a heaping tablespoonful of ganache on top of each cupcake; spread toward the edges. Sprinkle with peanuts. Chill for 20 minutes or until set. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forPeanut-Filled Devil's Food Cupcakes
"The cupcakes have a nice combination of chocolate and peanutbutter which is always a favorite at our house."
"The water-based hot chocolate sounds like a great idea! I understand that the coffee is used to enhance the flavor of the chocolate. Unfortunately, even chocolate cannot hide the tase or smell of coffee for me. Nor can I abide having coffee in the house.Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it."
"make a different recipe"
"This recipe looks heavenly. My only problem is that I absolutely hate coffee - the smell, the taste, . . . . Is there anything that I can substitue for the coffee?Thanks for your help.Debbie"