Peanut Chocolate Whirls
The mouthwatering combination of chocolate and peanut butter is irresistible in these tender swirl cookies. My daughters and I have such fun making and sharing these yummy snacks. —Joanne Woloschuk, Yorkton, Saskatchewan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 16x12-in. rectangle.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Spread over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Tightly roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for up to 30 minutes.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices with a serrated knife. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 216 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 139mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Peanut Chocolate Whirls in Taste of Home April/May 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.