Peanut Butter ‘n’ Banana Pudding
WHEN my grandmother cooked at a small country school, she earned the reputation of good cook. This recipe was given to her when she was a young mother and it has been a family favorite for years. The bananas pair well with the creamy homemade pudding and the peanuts add a nice crunch.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped dry roasted peanuts
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the peanut butter, butter and vanilla. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to dessert dishes. Refrigerate if desired. Just before serving, top with banana slices and peanuts.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 565 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 106g carbohydrate (93g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Grandma Mouse's Banana Pudding in Reminisce Extra January 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.