- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- Vanilla Glaze (recipe also in Recipe Finder), optional
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, salt, eggs and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Divide each half into thirds. Roll each into a 16-in. x 3-1/2-in. rectangle. Fold dough lengthwise over filling; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place three strips, seam side down, on greased baking sheets. Gently braid and pinch ends to seal; tuck ends under. Repeat with remaining strips. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Drizzle with Vanilla Glaze if desired. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forPeanut Butter Braids
"Much easier to divide dough in half and roll into a 16" by 9" rectangle and then cut into thirds."