Peachy Pecan Bread
This hearty sweet bread hits the spot any time of day. Not only does it bring a little fruit to your diet, it also packs 7 g of fiber per serving. Kathy Fleming - Lisle, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup uncooked oat bran cereal
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried peaches or apricots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the water, orange juice, egg substitute, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in peaches and pecans.
- Transfer to an 8x4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Editor's NoteLook for oat bran cereal near the hot cereals or in the natural foods section.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 200 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Peach Nut Bread in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.