In summer, my aunt and uncle provide me with tree-fresh fruit from their peach orchard. My husband gets so excited when they have a bumper crop because he knows this dessert will be on our menu often.
Recommended: 30 Recipes to Make with Fresh Peaches
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- Dash salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen peaches, thawed
- Additional sugar
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge of plate. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, tapioca and salt. Set aside 2 tablespoons cream. Combine remaining cream with vanilla; add to the sugar mixture. Add peaches; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Pour peach mixture into crust. Roll out the remaining pastry; make a lattice top crust. Seal and flute edges. Brush with reserved cream; sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly (cover edges with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary). Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Peaches 'N' Cream Pie in Country Woman July/August 2001, p29