- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (29 ounces) peach halves
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pour butter into a 9-in. round baking pan; sprinkle with brown sugar. Drain peaches, reserving 6 tablespoons of syrup. Arrange peach halves, cut side down, in a single layer over the sugar. Sprinkle coconut around peaches; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored; gradually beat in sugar. Add extract and reserved syrup. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well.
- Pour over peaches. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; invert cake onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forPeach Upside-Down Cake
"I tried this recipe and I did make adjustments: I used a 15-oz. can of apricot halves in its juice and pear juice which I drained off and reserved for the batter: 6 Tbsp. instead of the peach halves. I used 1/3 cup flaked coconut. I think for me that it would've been better if I'd greased and floured my9" round baking pan! I'd also baked the cake 55 minutes and the cake did test done, but the top was quite firm and browned. It WAS very good, but I know now that if I make this cake again, to bake just 50 minutes! I also probably would use about 6 Tbsp. of melted butter-I don't think that 1/3 cup of butter was enough! I admit that I HAD combined the brown sugar with the melted butter-next time, I'll plan to sprinkle the brown sugar over the melted butter! This IS a good recipe and thank you for sharing it with Taste of Home!delowenstein"
"This is really good!"
"Reminds me of my mother's homemade upside down cake."
"I made this many years ago, lost my recipe and found it here, Yea!!! I can't wait to make this again.... I just love the coconut in this!!!"
"I made this many years ago, couldn't find the recipe until now...YEA! I can't wait to make this again!!! the coconut is wonderful."
"I am not a fan of pineapple upside-down cake but I love the concept of it. When I saw this recipe I had to try it. It is great and easy to make. TOH may have the wrong picture on the website though. If the picture for the recipe has almonds on it-it is the wrong pic. They swapped the pictures for this recipe and spiced apple upside down cake."