Clarice Schweitzer of Sun City, Arizona gives peach pie a delightful twist with a nutty layer beneath and atop the sliced fruit. "It's a dessert that always draws compliments!" she reports.
Recommended: The 75 Best Ways to Enjoy Farmer's Market Peaches
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups sliced peeled ripe peaches
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- Whipped cream or ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the peaches, 1/4 cup sugar, tapioca and lemon juice; let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, nuts and remaining sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle a third of the crumbs into pie shell. Add peach mixture; sprinkle with remaining crumbs.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake for 30 minutes or until the peaches are tender and topping is golden brown. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Peach Praline Pie in Taste of Home August/September 1994, p17
Reviews forPeach Praline Pie
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 2, 2013
"I used a large can of peaches..29 oz. and chopped walnuts.I also cut back on the sugar a bit.It turned out very good. Next time I will used fresh peaches."