Peach Melba Mountain
Over the years, I've competed in several state fair cooking contests, and this cake is one of my most impressive entries. It looks as fantastic as it tastes. The fruit is in season right around Michigan's late August fair time.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1 package (3 ounces) peach or orange gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted, divided
- 3 cups sliced peeled fresh peaches
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; cool. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and extract until fluffy. Gradually beat in gelatin. Fold in whipped topping and 3/4 cup almonds. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake.
- Cut cake into three horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the cream mixture. Top with 1 cup of peaches and 1 cup of raspberries. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.