Peach, Green Chile and Cheddar Pie
After tasting a fantastic green chile apple pie in a local restaurant, I knew I would have to try it with peaches. The result was fantastic! The combination of flavors in this unusual pie tells you what every New Mexican knows—green chile goes good with everything! —Rd Stendel-Freels, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 14 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded aged cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
- 3 Hatch peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups sliced peeled peaches (about 6 medium peaches)
- 1/4 cup shredded aged cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place flour and sugar in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. Add 1/2 cup cheese; pulse 1-2 times. Transfer flour mixture to a large bowl. Mix together egg yolk and 6 tablespoons ice water; gradually add to flour mixture. Toss with a fork until dough holds together when pressed, adding more water if needed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Wrap chopped green chiles in 3 layers of paper towel and squeeze gently to remove excess moisture. In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add peaches and green chiles; toss to coat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 dough portion into a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust even with rim. Sprinkle bottom with cheese. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll out remaining dough; make a lattice crust. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge.
- Bake on lower rack for 10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 525 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Peach Pie with Green Chile and Cheddar in Pies 18
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.