Peach Gelato Recipe
- 3 cups sliced peeled peaches
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon peach schnapps liqueur, optional
- 1. Place peaches and water in a large skillet; cook, uncovered, over medium heat until tender. Place in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the cream, peaches and liqueur if desired. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 4. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1 quart.
1/2 cup: 260 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 149mg cholesterol, 40mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Peach Gelato
"I am giving the liquor added recipe 5 stars. I had a bumper crop of peaches and tried the recipe at first without the liquor and it was not peachy enough (and my peaches were very ripe). Made a second batch with the liquor and it was a big difference. I didn't have an issue with it freezing so I made a third batch doubling the liquor. It still froze, but we could not tell a difference in the peach flavor, so it is not worth adding more. I served to guests and everyone really liked it. I garnished with fresh blackberries, which looked nice, but I felt the blackberries were too sour to compliment the peach gelato. Next time, I will choose another garnish. Recipe was easy, but it does take some time to get the milk/sugar/eggs to cook to a custard consistency (about 30-40 minutes). Thanks for the recipe- it is excellent!"
"I made this Gelato for two of my siblings birthdays (they were born on the same day but are not twins). They both loved it and so did our parents. The next day we gave some to visitors who loved it as well.I omitted the liquor so the taste was mild. Hopefully next time I can add it."