I altered an existing recipe to suit my family's taste and added the almond topping for a bit of crunch. For a change of taste with equally great results, use cherry preserves.—Lisa Varner, Charleston, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup peach preserves
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; beat into creamed mixture just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Drop 2 teaspoons preserves into center of each muffin; cover with remaining batter. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 290 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 197mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Peachy Cream Cheese Muffin in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010