VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 large eggs
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups peach preserves
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, eggs and 2 cups flour; beat on low speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down, Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 20x10-in. rectangle. Spread with butter; top with preserves and pecans. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting at a long end. Pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet, curving ends to make a "U" shape. With scissors, make cuts every 1-1/2 in.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm coffee cakes. Cool. Yield: 2 coffee cakes.
Originally published as Peach Coffee Cake in Country Extra March 2003, p51